Health Requirements & Safety
All business owners are responsible for creating a safe and healthy product that follows food safety requirements.
Preparing Your Lemonade Product
- Always wash your hands with hot soapy water before preparing food. Wash your hands often.
- If your hair is long, tie it back or wear a cap
- Prepare your foods on clean surfaces. Make sure sinks, counters, spoons, pitchers, insulated containers, and utensils are washed and sanitized before using them.
- Prepare your base lemonade recipe using lemonade powder mix, frozen concentrate and/or bottled lemon juice.
- No fresh squeezed juices are allowed.**
- Only commercially (from a grocery store) ready-to-eat, packaged produce may be added (rinsed, cut and ready to use or frozen fruit, herbs, spices, etc.)
- No melon or salad type greens may be used in your recipe.**
- Use city water from the kitchen sink when making the lemonade. (If you are on your own well, use store bought water.)
Serving Your Product
- Only use store-bought bagged ice. Don’t use the cup or your bare hands to touch ice. Use a ladle or tongs to serve ice.
- Use paper or plastic pitchers and cups instead of glass
- Hold cups at the bottom and do not touch the tops of the cups (where people’s lips will go)
- Keep the lemonade and ice off of the ground and cover the lemonade and ice cubes between servings to keep bugs and dirt out.
- Provide a covered trash container to dispose of used cups
- Avoid preparing and handling foods if you are sick with vomiting, diarrhea, a cold, or if you have been sick in the past 48 hours
No food items other than lemonade may be sold. If you have any questions, please contact SRHD Food Safety Program at (509)324-1560 ext. 2.
- Never operate your lemonade stand alone. Ask an adult mentor or parent to supervise your business and do not leave the lemonade stand without telling them
- Keep money in a safe place, overseen by an adult
- Do not run out in front of cars
**Use of these items in your lemonade recipe requires special refrigeration and a permit from the Health Department for your lemonade business. Permits will cost $100 for a single day. They can be obtained from SRHD Food and Safety Program at (509)324-1560 ext. 2.